We announced on Twitter this week that in 2021 we would do another ‘various artists’ charity compilation, and we announced that although it was an open call, there would be strict entry criteria. We also said that participants might have to purchase a film.
So, enough with the mystery, let’s put some flesh on those bones…
The aim of the project will be to provide a new unofficial soundtrack for the Andrei Tarkovsky’s 1979 masterpiece, Stalker.
The version of this classic we will be working to is a mighty 2 hours 41 minutes long, which is a lot of music. The way we anticipate this working is as follows:
- Artists register their interest with SBC
- We will allocate a scene from the film (or scenes plural) to that artist, along with the start and end times and expected duration of the piece(s)
- Artists have freedom to interpret the scene as they wish, and freedom in terms of the style and instrumentation of their piece. We may choose to edit pieces that are substantially longer than the prescribed duration.
- All submissions must be original compositions, and must be exclusive to this project.
- All submissions must be as WAV, AIFF or FLAC format.
We’ll put together a more detailed brief, with dates, instructions and FAQs etc. when we’ve had a chance to gauge interest in the project. We’ll also setup a dedicated Twitter account so that interested parties can follow developments, and uninterested parties need not.
When we’ve assembled the finished project it will be released as a digital download on SBC. We’ll also put together some physical media and some deluxe merch options. We might even try to arrange a performance of the film, with its new soundtrack, if we can navigate around the legal and pandemic related issues.
As we generally do with our open compilations, we will donate all proceeds to a charity, yet to be determined.
What happens next?
- Let us know if you want to take part.
- Get familiar with Stalker
- That’s it, really
Where can I see Stalker?
That depends where you are in the world. You can use JustWatch to tell you the streaming options in your country here:
If you are in the UK, you can currently rent Stalker for 99p from both Amazon Prime and Youtube. It is also readily available on DVD and Blu-Ray, distributed by Artificial Eye.